This butternut squash recipe from Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa is so luxuriously smooth and delicious…I’m actually having a hard time finding the words to describe this recipe. I’ll keep it simple, just make it and make it now. Below is my adaptation of Ina’s original recipe. I an immersion blender instead of a food mill or food processor.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large)
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet apples, such as McIntosh (4 apples)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
Warm the butter, olive oil, onions, and curry powder in a large stockpot uncovered over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.
Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.
Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup with an immersion blender and puree.
Check the salt and pepper. The soup should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Serve Hot.