I’m always looking for sweets that don’t contain white sugar. Sweet treats, really good sweet treats without all the bad stuff are hard to come by. The combination of ripe bananas, dates, and chocolate chips really pack a sweet punch in this recipe. These muffin tops usually turn out to be more of a fluffy cookie but hey, that’s cool with me! My sister has made this recipe more than I have and she loves them more every time. We love them and you will too!
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled (230 grams banana without peel)
- 1/2 cup packed pitted Medjool dates (125 grams pitted dates)*
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats, divided
- 3-4 tablespoons non-dairy chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the peeled bananas, pitted dates, coconut oil, and vanilla into a food processor. Process until smooth. I let it run for a minute or so.
- Add in the cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and process again until combined.
- Add in 1.5 cups of the rolled oats and process for only 4-5 seconds, just long enough to roughly chop the oats.
- Remove processor from the base and then remove the blade and set aside. Carefully stir in the remaining 1/2 cup rolled oats and the chocolate chips.
- Spoon a large portion of dough (about 3-4 tablespoons or so for each) onto the parchment. Do not press down on the dough to flatten – simply leave it in a mound on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 7-9 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
- Immediately transfer the baking sheet onto a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then lift off muffins and place on the rack to cool completely.
Note: Make sure you use very soft Medjool dates. If you are using firm dates, be sure to soak them in water until softened before proceeding with recipe.
Recipe and photo courtesy of ohsheglows.com.