I’ve been on a soup kick recently and there are few things I like more than a creamy velvety soup. This really is easy and the final product pops with lots of broccoli flavor. Broccoli really shines here and the cashews add that extra richness that is sure to satisfy. I use only half of a cooked potato because I don’t want to dilute the intense broccoli flavor. And, I always soak the cashews in water overnight. When blended, soaked cashews turn silky and creamy whereas you run the risk of getting a grainier texture with unsoaked cashews.
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1 1/4 pound or 6-7 cups chopped)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I used Imagine’s No-Chicken)
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, cooked, peeled and diced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup raw cashews
- salt, black pepper, and cayenne, to taste
- Place the broccoli, onion, garlic, and vegetable broth in a saucepan. Bring the broth to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until broccoli is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Put half of the broccoli and broth into a blender with half of the potato and cashews. Blend at high powder until smooth. Pour into another saucepan, and repeat with the rest of the broccoli, potato, and cashews.
- Heat the soup, covered, on low for 10 minutes or so. Check seasonings and add salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of red pepper to taste.
Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup Variation
Add 1 teaspoon of good, mild curry powder to the broth in the first step. Substitute a cooked, peeled medium sweet potato for the Yukon gold potato, and add a larger pinch of cayenne pepper to finish.
Recipe and photo courtesy of fatfreevegan.com.