I love eggplant. I love it every way — fried, sautéed, roasted, whatever. This is a really fast and simply way to eat this delicious vegetable. I can’t often find the lovely small eggplants pictures above so I just use the large ones and quarter them lengthwise. I do the same cross cuts as in the picture and it turns out perfect every time. The dressing does make quite a bit so I like to save it in a jar in the fridge and miso glaze whatever else comes my way — broccoli, green beans, carrots! I do leave the skin on so the pieces hold up. The eggplant melts like butter once its done and you can either scrap it off the skin or just pick up it and slurp it off.
- 5 small eggplants
- 3/4 cup +1 1/2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chickpea miso
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of mirin and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
- Wash and dry eggplants. Cut in half and score at a diagonal.
- Brush eggplants with sesame/mirin mixture and roast for 20 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine 3/4 cup mirin, miso, coconut sugar and sea salt. Brush eggplants with mixture and return to oven.
- Roast an additional 20 minutes or until eggplants are soft, brushing with any leftover miso mixture halfway through.
- Serve immediately!
Recipe and photo courtesy of ahouseinthehills.com.